The Attack of the Houseplant

 On this day - November 1, 2018

I care for two Night-blooming Cereus cactus plants. They produce large blossoms in September which are something to see.

Cactus blossom

This cactus spends the summer outside on the deck, but it cannot survive the winter. One chore I dread is bringing it inside. It is heavy and it is armed with sharp spines.

Night Blooming Cereus

Over the years, I worked out a strategy. I wrap it with several blankets and wear a heavy coat as I lift it onto a dolly to roll into the dining room.  However there is an issue. Each year it gets bigger, heavier and top-heavy. On November 1st, 2018, it lurched toward me a stabbed me in the forehead. A spine was embedded. When I pulled it out, this was the result.

Cactus wound


The last four years have been relatively safe. I did get attacked this summer which led to a case of cellulitis on my hand, but no more stabbings. I've removed the top of the cactus so it will be less top-heavy. I can root the cuttings to make additional plants. I'll be glad to give them away,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cooperage Trail - Fremont, NH

Ella has Kittens