Friday, May 5, 2017

Basement Treasures - and a fish story


Support this blog by using this Amazon Link


My dad loved to fish, we lived close to Long Island Sound and he would spend the weekends fishing for flounder, blues, snappers and smelt. I remember being intrigued watching eels squirm around in a pan as they were being cooked.

He invented a fishing rig for catching smelt, a small fish that he loved to fish for. After Church he would drive to a small bridge in Westport, CT to "see if the smelt were running". I found this exceedingly boring but he loved it. He marketed his rig which he would make as he watched TV and we still have many of these. I'll bring some to the Green Center this Saturday.

Dad gets some good press
He created a stamp for his rig

Simple packaging and lots of recycling. The spacers were fabricated from plastic tubing that we might have found at the dump
Early televisions and FM radios had antennas with 300 ohm wiring. That was replaced with 75 ohm coaxial cable. This adapter worked with both of these.


Did you ever see those emergency lights in school? I have a 12 volt light from one that will be going to the Green Center

I have several sizes of alligator clips, these suckers are great for electrical projects

I forgot about this antique.  I found a blueprint machine at the dump and the light source was a carbon arc light source. Naturally I took the thing home for parts . I made a table out of the frame, recycled the brass and kept this electrode.

There is gold in these computer Pentium chips. I need to find if I can sell these. 

I have bins of what I call "floor sweepings", a mix of screws and other stuff Can you identify the auto parts?

 www.poltrack.net